Self-Help Websites to Prevent Smoking and Help Smokers Quit
- Florida Quit for Life Line
Division of Health Access & Tobacco – http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Tobacco/quitline.html
- Quitting Tips
Quitnet.com – cessation guides, calendar plans
- Joechemo.org – http://www.joechemo.org/
Tips on quitting, a ‘tobacco IQ’ quiz, free e-cards, a ‘smoke-o-scope’ and a comprehensive list of links.
- CDC.gov/tobacco – http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco
numerous tips and educational materials; ‘You Can Quit Smoking’ online guide; celebrities encouraging smokers to quit.
- Kick Butts Day – http://kickbuttsday.org/
Kick Butts Day is a national day of activism that empowers youth to speak up and take action against tobacco use at more than 2,000 events from coast to coast.
- Quit Doc Smoking Treatment Network / Internet Resources
For Pregnant Women
- Great Start – http://www.americanlegacy.org/greatstart/html/home.html?true
A national site with facts on maternal smoking and plan to quit.
For Kids and Teens
- ASPIRE – http://www.mdanderson.org/aspireonline
An interactive, modern site to help teens quit smoking; make a wise decision never to start.
- SWAT – http://www.gen-swat.com/
- Thetruth.com – http://www.thetruth.com/
An interactive site designed to educate teens and kids about the dangers of smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Tobaccofreekids.org – http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/
The official site of an advocacy group working to protect kids from the harmful effects of tobacco products.
- The Truth – Who would’ve thought…
Health Consequences of Smoking
- Cancer.gov – http://www.cancer.gov/
Official site of the National Cancer Institute.
- Lungusa.org – http://www.lungusa.org/
The official site of the American Lung Association, offers fact sheets, quitting action plan, step programs, community-tailored information.
- DontPassGas.org – http://www.dontpassgas.org/
An interactive site with information on the harmful effects of second-hand smoke on smokers’ family and friends.
- Presentation on ‘Secondhand Smoke – Who is at Risk’
(pdf) – http://www.flquitline.com/PDF_Files/2ndHandSMOKE.pdf
(text version) – http://www.flquitline.com/PDF_Files/2ndHandSMOKE.txt
- Smokless (Spit) Tobacco
- Smokeless Tobacco
- Smokeless Tobacco
- Monograph 2: Smokeless Tobacco or Health: An International Perspective
- The Oral Cancer Foundation
- Smokeless Tobacco Fact Sheet
- Spit Tobacco: A Guide for Quitting
- Tobacco.org – http://www.tobacco.org/
This site, developed by a smoker who quit after numerous attempts over 20 years, offers a comprehensive list of news articles related to smoking from sources around the world.
- Americans for Nonsmokers’ Rights – http://www.no-smoke.org/
- Software for Your Palm Pilot/PDA to Help you Quit – http://pda.ahrq.gov/consumer/qscit/qscit.htm
- Affordable Quality Healthcare